Ladies from Robson Ranch supported the Central Arizona Golf District (CAGD) in 2023 in several tournaments, and we had quite a few winners. CAGD is an all-volunteer, nonprofit organization founded in 1961 that offers women of all skill levels a chance to compete and have fun playing golf. CAGD has more than 1,300 members from all corners of Greater Phoenix and central Arizona counties. If you have an official Golf Handicap Information Network (GHIN) handicap and are a member of a sanctioned women’s league associated with the Arizona Golf Association, you are welcome to join CAGD and participate in their tournaments. Robson Ranch has two ladies who are representatives on the CAGD committee—Candy Burtis and her alternate, Bobbie Johnson.
There have been four tournaments held in 2023, with a final tournament scheduled for Nov. 30 at Briarwood in Sun City West, Ariz. Robson Ranch hosted the first event of the year on April 17. Robson has had ladies participate in all four of the events this year. Each tournament is a two-person best ball event. Robson Ranch had quite a few winners as well, listed below.
April 17—Robson Ranch Golf Course in Eloy—86 participants
* Flight 2: 1st place Gross—Score of 81—Regina Bellach and Becky Hamilton
* Flight 3: 1st place Gross—Score 84—Sally Fullington and Robyn Tanke
* Flight 5: 2nd place Net and 2nd place Overall Net—Score of 64—Pat Jackson and Donna Toller
* Flight 3: Closest to Pin—Pam Mumy
* Biggest Loser Golfer Award: Lanette Inman—Improvement factor of 1.201
Robson Ranch was well represented by 22 ladies, including Bobbie Johnson, Candy Burtis, Rhonda McGree, Kathy Holwick, Susan Worner, Pam Mumy, Janet Castelluccio, Kathy Pfeiff, Dema Harris, Mary Pryor, Betty Kumbera, Julia Carl, Lanette Inman, Barbara Gayer, Judy Brozek, and Mary Kindt.
May 22—Los Caballeros Golf Course in Wickenburg—48 participants
Robson Ranch was represented by Kim Hagood and Lanette Inman
June 12—Raven Golf Course in Phoenix—48 participants
* Flight 2: 1st place Gross—Score of 82—Bobbie Johnson and Candy Burtis
* Flight 2: 2nd place Net—Score of 67—Diane Penner and Becky Sheffler
Robson Ranch was also represented by Pam Costner and Lanette Inman
Aug. 14—Superstition Springs Golf Club in Mesa—26 participants
* Flight 1: 1st place Gross—Score of 84—Diane Penner and Becky Sheffler
* Flight 1: 2nd place Net—Score of 71—Bobbie Johnson and Candy Burtis
* Flight 1: Closest to Pin—Becky Sheffler
Nov. 17—Briarwood Country Club in Sun City West—Last tournament of 2023
For the first time, CAGD will host a “Tournament of Champions” on Jan. 8, 2024, at TOC Wigwam Golf Resort in Goodyear, Ariz. Any of the teams who placed first or second gross or net in any of the CAGD tournaments in 2023 will be eligible to participate in this Champions tourney. Congratulations to all the Robson Ranch lady golfers who have qualified for this event.