Monsoon storms are almost here bringing dust storms, flash floods, lightning and extreme heat. Protect yourself and your family by staying informed.
During a dust storm, will you know what to do? Pull aside – stay alive!
* Avoid driving into or through a dust storm.
* If you encounter a dust storm, immediately check traffic around your vehicle (front, back and to the side) and begin slowing down.
* Do not wait until poor visibility makes it difficult to safely pull off the roadway – do it as soon as possible. Completely exit the highway if you can.
* Do not stop in a travel lane or in the emergency lane. Look for a safe place to pull completely off the paved portion of the roadway.
* Turn off all vehicle lights, including your emergency flashers.
* Set your emergency brake and take your foot off the brake pedal.
* Stay in the vehicle with your seat belt buckled and wait for the storm to pass.
* Drivers of high-profile vehicles should be especially aware of changing weather conditions and travel at reduced speeds.
For more information please visit monsoonsafety.org.
Have a safe summer!